Planning a wedding is stressful and there are so many options you have to choose from. Flowers, cake, venue, dances, should you do a first look? Today, we are tackling the “should you or should you not do a first look” dilemma and laying out a few pros and cons to help you decide.
- First looks are definitely not traditional but can give a couple some special moments prior to the ceremony.
- First looks are great for couples with nerves and butterflies.
- Getting married in the winter? If you do a first look, you will have time to get some photos in the light before the sun goes down.
- A first look gives couples the opportunity to go offsite for photos, without having to leave the space during cocktail hour, which can create time complications.
- You can get your tears out before the ceremony. Weddings are very emotional and if you are worried about waterworks in front of all your friends and family, you can get them out ahead of time.
- You can attend your cocktail hour.
- You get some alone time with your significant other.
- You will have more photos from your big day.
- You will not have that “special moment” at the altar. If you do a first look, you miss out on the suspense and emotion that build before you walk down the aisle.
- You have to start getting ready earlier. If you were planning on sleeping in on your wedding day, with a first look, you will probably have to be ready earlier to ensure you are ready in plenty of time before the ceremony.
- It could be awkward. With the photographer and videographer directing you, it may not feel as intimate as you had hoped.
- Your dress, hair, and bouquet could get messed up. If you are taking photos outside, your dress could pick up dirt, your hair could get windblown, your flowers may end up looking wilted.
No matter what you choose, remember that you can always change your mind on the day of the wedding. If you decide you need to see your partner or you want to until you walk down the aisle, your photographer should be able to work with you. At Melrose Knitting Mill, our planners will be with you every step of the way to ensure that whatever decisions you make go exactly how you want them to on your big day.